Saturday, April 20, 2013

Hmmmm...

Truck's still gone.  No news from the police.  I've been hoping that they'll just find it out of gas on the side of the road somewhere.  I can't think of a reason for anyone to steal it, except maybe that they wanted all my tools that were in it and didn't think they could carry them all alone.  I don't know.  It kind of baffles me.  But if it isn't found in working condition, it will have cost me about $1500.  It's not a huge amount, but one I can ill afford, being without real employment and engaged in building a house.  I mean I had planned to rent an excavator to break ground, just a couple days after it was stolen.  But I need a truck to drag it to the house.  I'm working on alternatives.

Anyway, I went out to get on my bike this morning to run an errand, and it wouldn't turn over.  I tried whatever I could think of, but couldn't get it moving.  So I walked on my errand.  Then afterward I walked it up the hill to the church parking lot and tried to bump start it.  Have you ever tried to push almost 500lbs. up a hill?  I realized I need more exercise.

I tried a couple of running compression starts, in the parking lot, but no dice.  It just wasn't happening.  I started thinking about it, and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the battery, like it was last time this happened.  I mean I could run the starter again and again.  It just wouldn't turn over.

I then tried getting a bit more speed down the hill on the sidewalk (it's a one way road, up the hill) before my building.  Still, it wouldn't turn over when I slammed it into first.  I got it back in the garage just as the rain and snow started falling again.

I'm trying to have a sense of humor about the state of things.  But it's wearing a bit thin.

No comments: