Thursday, December 20, 2012

Library?

So, today I applied for a part time job at the Salt Lake Library.  If I get it, it should be just enough to pay my rent after all is said and done.  I hope I get it.  Although it is a relatively low paying part time job, I've always kind of wanted to work at the library.  We'll see what happens.

They wanted a cover letter, and I think I might have over-shared, but I wanted them to get an idea of me.  Here is the text:


Dear Selector,

I am applying for a Library Assistant position.

My pre-teen and early teen years were... awkward. I quickly realized that a good fat book made an excellent shield against the interest of girls and other types of friends. And libraries, the repositories of these marvelous shields became my Fortress of Solitude. For me, the library was the happiest place on earth. Disney Land didn’t stack up to the stacks at all, in my opinion.

Then two great things happened  I fell in love with the content of the books I was reading, and I developed some social skills. The library was still the happiest place on earth, but it became for me a platform for sharing the literature that I found so valuable with others. Through high school I was the bane some English teachers, and the primary collaborator with others, because I had already read the material we covered in the classes. I did whatever I could to promote the stories to other students. I became a big believer in the idea of bibliotherapy, that there is a right time for a right book for everyone, and I was constantly giving friends reading recommendations. I also began to write.

On my first tour through Utah State University I decided I should do something sensible and marketable. I got a degree in Tech Writing, and did an internship at the Interactive Media Research Lab. At the end of it I realized there were no tech writing jobs at the time, so it wasn’t so marketable, and that I didn’t want to write instructions for programming your DVR or legal warnings for prescription drugs anyway. So it wasn’t so sensible a decision either.

I went back to my love of literature, and back to school. I got a degree in English Education and a School Library Media Certification. Originally I had decided only to look for media center jobs, but was eventually recruited to teach Language Arts at East Hollywood High, a charter school in West Valley, with the understanding that I’d take over the media center after the current director retired the next year. I did so in ‘08, and ran it actively through that school year. Unfortunately the crash in home prices cut property tax revenues, out of which schools budgets are taken. Budget cuts meant that we didn’t have any money for the library. I bought books with my own money for a while, but after that year the principal realized we could meet the accreditation requirement of having a full time Library/Media teacher, even if I wasn’t in the Media Center. I was returned full time to teaching English and Yearbook/Journalism, and though I was the titular Director, the Media Center was turned over to an office aide. I was unhappy with the principal’s decision, but I loved my students and loved the material I was teaching. I continued at the school for two more years.

When I went into contract negotiations at the end the last school year the principal informed me he wasn’t bringing me back for 2012/13. The vice principal had suddenly quit, and he had a friend he wanted to give the position to. Unfortunately it was only a part time position and his friend taught English and Yearbook too, so he increased the English class sizes to accommodate cutting two sections of it, and gave his friend my job and the vice principal job. I was crushed. It was the middle of June, and all the schools do their hiring for the next year in March, April and May. I applied for a couple of the remaining jobs but was left without a teaching position this year.

This was all particularly dismaying because I was in the early stages of building myself a house, and I’d counted on my salary for my maintenance while I dedicated my savings to the construction. I’m still in the early stages of building, but I find myself needing at least part time employment to pay rent while I work on the house.

So, I’m applying for a Library Assistant position. The hours I can work are flexible, and I think I have all the requisite skills. I’m familiar with library procedures  cataloging and circulation. I have computer technology, design and photography skills. I understand, speak and write passable Spanish. I love literature, film and music, and I think working for the Salt Lake Library would be a very cool job. I hope you’ll give me the chance.

Thanks,
Mike Jones

Crap.  I just realized that I sent the un-spell checked version.

1 comment: