Thursday, December 6, 2012

Ham...

For Thanksgiving Dinner up at Dave's in Washington, Nic made a ham.  After returning to Salt Lake I found myself caving it, and I remembered a couple years ago getting one for a good deal after some holiday.  I don't remember which.  So I decided to go buy one.  They were three bucks a pound, and each was 7lbs+. I wondered if $21 was reasonable, given I'm trying so hard to be frugal, living off savings as I am.  I decided to do it.

So I have been eating it for two meals a day for four days, since Sunday.  I cut off all the spiral cut stuff, and froze the bone and the rest.  I've made it through all the spiral, which I estimate as 4lbs.  Now I'm going to make a white bean soup out of the bone and the rest of it.  I suspect I'll be eating that for at least one meal for the next three days.  All in all, I think eating for a week on $29 (the ham and the soup stuff) was a pretty decent deal.  But I probably won't eat any more ham for a couple more years.

Post-Thanksgiving discounted pie, on the other hand...

2 comments:

Laura said...

Ha ha ha - you could always freeze some...

The Greg Jones Family Blog said...

Mike, you inspired us to write about... turkey! Too bad you didn't make it up to Providence to try some. We love you.--Mom