Friday, September 25, 2009

Still in My Room...

Well it's been a week and I'm still in my room. My principal talked to the registrar and she pointed out that we were going to have to hire a geography teacher part time next trimester and another part time health teacher since one is going to be out on maternity leave. The result being that even if they moved me over to the crappy room there wouldn't be room for the new people next trimester. The upshot is that special ed is cleaning out one of the store rooms. I'm not counting on anything, but I've got my fingers crossed that it's all over. At least for this year.

Mr. Foresberg came down and tried to help me out with my car. We started by cleaning the posts on the battery, then replacing the bad clamp. It still wouldn't start so he looked for the solenoid, and found it in a ridiculously inaccessible area. Having done so we jacked it up with the piddley little tire replacement jack and wedged a box of books under it in case the jack turned out to be as unstable as it seemed. He still couldn't get to it so we took off the wheel. By this time it was dark and he was working with a headlamp, and still it foiled him, so we put the wheel on cleaned up the tools and push started it again with the plan of me driving up to Cache Valley for a more thourough going over on the weekend.

We parked it on a hill on A street, and I left it for a couple of days. But as I was getting ready to go online and try to get a solenoid I saw the switch that doesn't allow the starter to draw if the clutch isn't depressed. I decided I was going to monkey around with that just to see before I bought the solenoid, so when I went home yesterday I walked up to the hill and did so. It started like a dream. I turned it off and started it again. I drove down around the corner, pulled to the side and shut it off, then tried to start it again. It wouldn't, so I got under the dash and played with the switch again and it started. Then I drove around some more and smoke started to come out of the hood.

That worried me so I called Mike again and told him the good and the bad. He told me to check my oil levels and add some if any had leaked. I drove the car to school this morning and there was no smoke, so I think it may be ok. At least for now. I think I'm probably just going to try to find something that permanently holds the button on that switch down. Or if I got ambitious I'll spend the $22 and buy a new one to replace it. Who knows. But if I get take out tonight it will be at a place closer to home than Curry in a Hurry.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm glad you're still in you're room. I'm still in my desk, though I'm probably getting kicked out in the next two weeks because a postdoc wants it. Also... I'm glad your car works for now.

One day at a time.