Monday, September 21, 2009

The Fateful Day...

Friday after school my principal pulled me aside with the social studies teacher and told us that they'd tried to make it work, but one of us was going to have to move over into the worst room in the school so the special ed teacher could have my room. He avoided the issue by telling us we could decide among ourselves which one of us would move. My face immediately turned into a wooden smile. I hate this.

Later that day I went to Curry in a Hurry for some dinner, and when I came out my car wouldn't start. I was instantly panicked, but calmed down relatively quickly. I called Mr. Foresberg and he said to try to loosen the clamps on the battery posts and get some of the lead off, then I might be able to get a jump. I had no tools so I pounded on the clamp, trying to jiggle it. Finishing that, but accomplishing nothing, I asked everyone at the restaurant over the course of a half hour if they could give me a jump, but to no avail. I was a little resentful, as I started calling everyone I knew in the Salt Lake area. Two calls later I was done, and still out of luck, so I ate my curry in the car, locked up, and started walking home up State St.

After about a mile I got to a bus stop and a fellow was there waiting. I asked him if the bus was going to be along soon, and he said it must because he'd been waiting for about 45 minutes. Then he asked me if I had a phone so he could call a cab, and without even thinking about it I lied and said I didn't. I walked away, and felt instantaneously like a totally hypocritical jerk. I'd been miffed because no one could help me, and I could help this guy but I wouldn't. Then the bus came by and stopped for me, even though I wasn't at the stop. It waited for me to run up and when I got on the guy was there and he nodded. I think he told the driver I needed to get on.

The next day my home teacher called and I asked him if he could go out there and try to jump it with me. We bought some jumper cables and a new set of clamps for the battery posts. But it wouldn't jump. He called his dad and he said it was probably the solenoid. That was discouraging, but we were able to start it by compression and I got home and parked it. Mr. Foresberg is going to come down and try to help me fix it, which is super nice of him.

So I was back on my bike this morning and I got a bug in my eye. I wiped at it a lot then during lunch I wiped at it again and found the bug's carcass on my finger tip. It was weird and kind of gross.

I should get back to work...

2 comments:

The Greg Jones Family Blog said...

In truth, we all have days like that. I'm sorry this one happened to you.

Dad

Laura said...

I pull bug carcasses out of my eye on a regular basis it seems... always after or during biking. It's gross.

You should have called me - I would have driven to SLC and given you a ride.