Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring Break...

So, it's Spring Break for me, which means mostly I've been laying on my couch reading and eating way too much.  I read Brisingr, the newest Christopher Paolini book, which was more of his same, not great, a little geeky pretentious fantasy nerdy, but ok fun.  I read a crappy graphic novel, A History of Violence, which is a very rare failure of the "book is better than the movie" rule.  I read a really good graphic novel called Allan's War.  It was just a biography of a GI during, a little before, and a little after WWII.  I really liked it.  The story seemed to be pretty much a transcription of the taped interviews that he made with the guy.  The art was good.  I guess I also finished the second book in the Maus series, by Art Speiglman.  I don't know how to enjoy that one.  It's a holocaust survivor narration, a biography of the author's father.  It's pretty depressing, but good.  I also read most of the Wheel of Time prequel, New Spring, by Robert Jordan.  It's more of the same from Robert Jordan.  Not his best, but far from his worst so far.  I'll probably finish it tomorrow.

Also I watched the complete run (6 episodes) of a British comedy series called Hippies, starring Simon Pegg, and a one season American series called The Black Donnellys.  Hippies was funny, but the Black Donnellys wasn't great, which was why it only lasted a season, and got pulled without a resolution to all the story lines.  Oh well.

So, that's been my vacation.

However, Wednesday afternoon I did take this bike ride.  I went as far as I could up City Creek Canyon, until I ran into the snow a little way above the water station.  It was pretty, but not as nice as when I went up there last fall.  I liked it better then.

Maybe I'll go for another bike ride today.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Cami made fun of me for reading all through my Spring Break. To be fair, I also did a bit of writing (technical, nothing fun. Although I've been thinking recently about what the difference really is between "technical writing" and "creative writing" and maybe I shouldn't have those two concepts in totally separate buckets in my head. But I probably shouldn't tell my advisor that my thesis is going to be an exercise in "creative" writing).

Most of my reading these days is coerced (I have a political science class, Cami calls it social studies, and it has about 200 pages of technical reading a week. Which maybe isn't much to a PolySci major, but it takes me hours and hours to get through). I did just finish "East of Eden" (first time ever), and I'm about to finish "From the Shadows," a nonfiction by (current Secretary of Defense) Robert Gates about his years in the CIA. I've been reading it for almost a year, off and on; it'll be nice to finally finish.

Laura said...

I need to get RSS or whatever it is that tells me when people update their blogs. I check Cami's everyday (because she posts almost every day), but that's about it.

I couldn't get a feel for whether you enjoyed your spring break. It sounds heavenly to me (I started crying two nights ago because I badly wanted to just read for fun. Oh well, maybe in the next life.

I'm also jealous of your bikeride. Did you like it? Also, did you lick it?