Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Psychology...

I just finished reading A Theory of Human Motivaiton, by Abrabam H. Maslow with my kids.  Some of them got really into it, and some didn't.  We read it mostly based on my only qualifying principle of curriculum development, which is whether I'm interested in it at the moment.  I don't know if that's really good, but it seems to be about the only way I can run a dynamic class.  If I'm curious about a subject we usually read about it.  That's about it.

Anyway, I can't exactly remember what got me started on it, but I told the kids we were going over it for a couple of reasons, first being that it was good reading comprehension practice material, and second, that I thought an understanding of it could help them lead better lives.  And I believe it's not inaccurate, but after about a wee
k of studying it I don't feel as strongly about it as I did in the beginning.  In any case, at the end of it I asked the kids to do a free write in which they speculated on their levels of attainment of the five basic needs, upon which level of need they were living, and how they might achieve a higher level on the hierarchy.  I thought it might be good to try to write about it myself.

There are a few principles you have to know to get it.  First...

So I started writing this a while ago.  Days?  Weeks?  I ran out of the interest, or the energy neccessary to finish it.  That happens to me a lot.  I find in t
he last few years that I get 3/4ths of the way through stuff and run out of gas.  ADD?  I guess.  Anyway, instead, here are some pictures.  I found this little video about aging pics to look like they were shot with a Holga, a kind of legendary cheap Russian medium format camera with a plastic lens.  I bought one a few years ago, but it was just when the world was really making the transition to digital cameras, and I had my first, and all of the s
udden it just seemed like it wasn't worth the money to develop film.  But I guess I can photoshop the pics to make them look like I shot them with the Holga, now.

Pics.

This one doesn't look as Holga-ized, but oh well.




3 comments:

The Greg Jones Family Blog said...

Sorry about that. I misspelled a word, and couldn't let it stand.
I like your philosophy on books to discuss in class. Glad you don't have to follow cirriculum. I'm also glad you are posting again. Thanks. --Mom

Celeste and Jared said...

Hey Mike! I have been trying to find out where you were for like the last two weeks. How are you doing? I am still up in Logan. Send me an email I have something I want to run by you.

Talk to you soon

Jared Harding
hardingcrew@gmail.com

Laura said...

You always leave the funniest (meaning best) comments on my blog. I'm resisting the temptation to say, "So what did Jared want?"