Monday, October 13, 2008

Self Actualization...

I was just reading a few articles on The Economist. I read the new stuff on the web version about every day, and I came across this kind of random article on Maslow and the Hierarchy of Need. In it Maslow is quoted as saying, "A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately happy. What a man can be, he must be. This need we may call self-actualisation."

I started thinking that maybe the reason I find life so unsatisfying is a deficit of self-actualization. I guess its not a new idea. I've been a fan of the Hierarchy for a while, but this bit is new I think. I don't see myself as anything, so there can be no actualization.

I went through this weird period for a few years when I was younger where I became a few things:


  • I was a writer, and I wrote. I wrote a few short stories I liked, several journals I thought were full of meaningful stuff, and finally a book. People read what I wrote and I got reactions; mostly good. I felt like my writing made me significant.
  • I was a friend, and (there's no verb for this; maybe friended?)... Anyway, I was the confidant of a lot of people, and I felt like my friendship served them good stead. I felt like I made their lives better.
  • I was a boyfriend, and I loved. For better or worse (probably usually worse) I loved. My relationship made me feel worthy (for a while).

Anyway, I don't really have any of these anymore and for whatever reason I haven't developed any new roles for myself. In a wierd way, most of the time I don't feel like any of these roles would mean anything anyway.

I read this short story by Jose Donoso yesterday called Paseo. It's told from the point of view of a child remembering childhood at home with a father, two uncles and a spinster aunt. They lead this painstakingly carful life together, the intent of which is never to inconvenience each other. The narrator says at one point that that was the concept of love he inherited, that it was never to incovenience another. I'd never seen that sentiment on paper, and I was struck first by how wrong it was, (although the story never gives any resolution on the subject) and second, how I feel that way myself. Probably my biggest ambition in relationships with the people I love is never to inconvenience them.

I guess this has been what I've gone with recently. Oh well, it made sense in my head for a minute.

3 comments:

Laura said...

You are something to me - one of my very few real friends, and I appreciate you. Even though we go months at a time without speaking, it is comforting to me to know that somewhere across the country, I have a handful of friends who would be sad if I died. I just wish I were a better friend (you know, the kind that calls people or something). I can identify with your sentiments, though. Maybe in part it is because we are single; no spousal or parental duties to fulfil.

Anonymous said...

I appreciated all three of your previous roles, and the smiles they brought to your face, so how about taking one or two of them up again? I think they are all important facets of who you are.

DevJam said...

I felt a little like that when I was single. When I got married some of that was changed because I now have "my own special purpose" (Steve Martin in 'The Jerk'). But it's easy to take it for granted and just look forward to the next stage (getting married, having kids, moving up to the next level in your career, etc.). You have to try to find the purpose in the stage you're in at the time. You've got a role as a teacher right now, which I value more than most of society because I see what it takes to be a good one. I also don't know if there has to be just one purpose. You can self-actualize in your job and in your church calling and in your family/friend relationships etc.