Friday, August 22, 2008

A Haiku to My Students...

We've been having orientation meetings for the last three days (since Wednesday). Last night was Back to School Night. I never went to a Back to School Night when I was a kid and I don't think that we did one last year. We didn't really know what to do. Mostly parents kind of milled around and whenever they showed up in our rooms we gave them a short verbal version of our syllabus. It was a little weird, but ok.

I'm in a new room on the south end of the building. I talked to the boss at the end of last year about moving into one of the big rooms with the windows, and he said ok, but then he forgot when he hired a new social studies teacher, and gave it to him. Matt moved into the other big window room, so they gave me his old room. It actually works out ok. I'm not averse to it, but it presents me with a problem. There are a couple of bulletin boards. I haven't got a clue what to put on them. I don't really know what I'm going to put on my other walls either, but I've kind of felt like I should do something. I spent almost all of last year with bare walls. Only at the end did I start putting students work up on them to cover their nakedness.

Maybe I'll take some of my supply money and buy a couple of posters. I do have the enormous poster of Shakespeare in a half-tone that Matt bequeathed me.

Anyway, we finished our meetings at noon today and went to Golden Coral. We all ate a few plates of fried foods then came back to get stuff ready for Monday. I have composed a haiku to commemorate the occasion:

Metal-studded glares
Mohawks brushing the ceiling
The children return...

No comments: