Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fricken Finally...

Sometime last week, (or late in the week before (things are a bit of a blur these days (my tummy hurts
because I ate sugary stuff for breakfast (man, that was a non-sequitur)))) I finished the rough-in piping for my plumbing.  With great trepidation I called the building department at the county and requested an inspection.  I saw online that I was on the schedule for inspections and was expecting a call from the inspector to tell me when to meet him at the lot.  On the appointed day the call kept failing to come.  I became agitated waiting for it.  It made me quite uncomfortable.

I continued to check the online schedule every half hour or so, and around two in the afternoon I saw that my building permit number had disappeared from the list.  I called a secretary in the building department and asked what was going on.  She asked for my permit number and did a search on it then said that my number was off the list because the inspector had been there and gone.  My piping had passed.

So, some days ago I went back and buried them, and laid the gravel over the portions of the lot that were undone.  Looking at the stuff that I was getting off the pile of gravel I had delivered earlier, in the summer, I almost think they delivered road fill rather than straight gravel.  It seemed to be between half and three fifths fines once I got down into the middle of it.  I was a little miffed by that.  I hope it will perform well the desired function: draining moisture away from the concrete.

In any case, I was overjoyed to cut the tops off the piping I used as the 10ft head for the pressure test.

Now all I have to do it level the gravel, for which I bought a laser level, which will I hope be more accurate than the measuring poles I made, between which I stretched a cord with a line level on it.  It just didn't seem to be getting the job done well.  I could see a visible slump in places.

Anyway, once the gravel is level I can lay the vapor barrier, finish the rebar, buy and place the rigid insulation, shore it up, then hire a crew to lay the foundation.

And can you believe it has only taken me two years of work to get to this point?

Oh well.  I've been distracted lately.

1 comment:

The Greg Jones Family Blog said...

I hope you can lay concrete before it gets too cold.