Monday, August 20, 2012

Other Jobs...

I forgot some jobs:

Roofer, Age 24? - Dad and I put a new roof on the cabin.  Took off everything down to the decking, then replaced it all.  Except this time instead of asphalt shingles we did an aluminum roof.

Shelving Installer, 25 - When USU decided to knock down the Sci-Tech library and re-build it with a super cool robotic shelving retrieval system, there was only one person to call.  I don't know that person.  There were a bunch of shelves in the that weren't part of the robot system.   They were done by a firm here in Salt Lake called Heinricksen-Butler?  Anyway, I got hired on to a temp crew to do them.  It was me and three other guys working under this black guy named Ivan.  He had something going on with his lower lip.  It looked like he'd just been punched really hard.  He was a funny guy.  Really nice.  He'd just joined the church and married a mormon girl.  On this job I did my first and only overnight work travelling.  We did about three fourths of the shelves at the new South Jordan Library by the Harmons on 17th West and a little past 104th south.  They put us up in individual rooms at the Crystal Inn.  Wow.

Writing Center Tutor, 23-26 - I spent three semesters I think at the end of my second tour through USU working in the Writing Center.  It was in the basement of the English Building, on the south side of the quad, kitty corner to Old Main.  We counseled English 1010 and 2010 students on how to write their papers.  Also we were periodically given individual responsibility for College of Education students who were trying to pass the written test for the Secondary or Elementary graduation requirement.  I counseled a guy named Colby who was majoring in technical education.  He'd already failed the test twice when he was assigned to me.  He was one of those guys who grew up in the sticks, who never had much use for literacy, but now found himself in a hard spot.  He was a really good guy, and I'm sure he's made a great teacher.  It was a rough go though because the education department only let you take the test three times, and if you failed you weren't awarded a degree.  Pretty awful considering the students who were taking it had just spent four years and many thousands of dollars to get to that point.  Colby obviously had some learning disabilities, so we found some workarounds for his problems that got him through it.

No comments: